Thursday, September 7, 2017

Recalling My Coach Hambly Prank

The good looking guy in the picture is former Illinois Volleyball Head Coach, Kevin Hambly. Recently, he left Illinois for the same job at #1 Stanford. Tomorrow, he returns “home” with his Stanford team.
So, this is a good time to share my Coach Hambly Prank story.
It begins on a Friday night, around 9:30, sometime after the season was over. I overheard my wife, Janet, talking to our kids, Ben and Sarah. By this time, they were in grad and law school at Illinois—in short, of legal drinking age.
They were talking to their Mom via text, and they mentioned that Coach Hambly came into the bar a few moments ago.
This was all idle chit-chat. Unbeknownst to them, I overheard the back-and-forth because Janet was casually relaying the conversation to me.
After waiting about ten minutes, I texted Ben and Sarah, something along these lines: “Hey, the weirdest thing happened. Mom put on make-up, dressed-up nicely, and bolted out of here. She didn’t mention where she was heading. Do guys have any clue?”
Apparently, our kids were mortified upon receiving this text. They “slammed down their beers” and settled their tab immediately, thinking that their mother was on the prowl for Coach Hambly.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Later that night, I told them all about my prank…. I don’t know if Janet was more “amused” by my stunt, or by our kids’ apparent willingness to connect my suggestive text to the implication that their Mom was seeking to rendezvous with Coach Hambly.
Welcome back, Coach! J

No comments: