Saturday, November 5, 2016

The Language, Right, of Tentative Agreement, You Know? What Grandma Schultz Would Say About Professor-Talk


I am returning from a great academic conference, right? Along the way, you know, I fell into a poor linguistic habit, right, that my Grandma Schultz called us out on, you know?
I found myself repeating these verbal patterns, right? 
So, you know, I got to thinking about this, right?
I think that people (myself included, right?) seek tentative agreement, right, with some of the preliminary points of their observations or arguments, right, to string along the listener, you know. It’s almost like waiver, right? If the other person hasn’t said I’m wrong so far, right, I must be right, right?
When I used “you know” in conversing with my Grandma, right, she’d sharply interrupt me, you know, and exclaim, “No, I don’t know. Are you asking if I know or are you misusing ‘you know’?

It’s not my place to clean up this language in the academy; but if you catch me, right, using these conversation-stuffers, you know, please play the role of my departed Grandma Schultz, right, and STOP ME! I will thank you. So will my Grandma.

No comments: