Friday, October 20, 2017

White Grievance: A Rebuttal to Yesterday’s Tesla Discrimination Post

Yesterday’s post had a high volume of page views. It touched some nerves across the ideological spectrum. The post was shared among friends.
Here is one response from a social media platform. It is unedited and anonymous. I will not denigrate or praise it or otherwise comment. I am posting it because it clearly presents a thesis of white grievance, and I think it is valuable to read and understand it.
I welcome replies to mhl@illinois.edu or Facebook posts. Any and all viewpoints are welcome. Just don’t make it personal to me or to anyone who is posting. Let’s learn from each other. Thank you.
***
What I have experienced is being called any and every racially charged name for a white person you can think of for doing nothing more than beating someone on the basketball court. I've been physically assaulted on the court as well....because I was white. All if this at the finer institute of higher learning that signs your paycheck.
I've been passed over for jobs that I was infinitely more qualifies for so that a business could hire a "minority." At least 3 of those instances I was told flat out I was the most qualified but didn't fit the "profile" they were required to hire.
I also worked for the better part of my youth year around doing the jobs most on the left say "only minorities will do" at an effective pay rate of about $200-$250 a year. Now to be fair that was on a family farm and I wasn't supporting a family on that meager income but the work I did was the same.
So don't assume you have ANY idea what I've been through Michael. Some of the assaults (notice I said some) required medical attention, stitches and xrays. While that is a far cry from whay occurred in your post it happened all the same.

The fact is racism is rampant in this country and while it may not fit your narrative it happens the other way as well. We just don't hear about it as much because it isn't as sensational. And it doesn't fit the white guilt profile that we're told we should feel. I have other friends who have been assaulted because they were white and one that was killed. Now I don't hold grudges and I don't hold an entire group of people responsible for the actions of a few. I also don't believe all people in these groups are racist just because of my experiences.

No comments: