Saturday, May 26, 2018

Memorial Day and Patriotism: A Navy Vet Ready to Kneel at NFL Games

Regarding the NFL’s national anthem controversy, a common view among our veterans is that they served our country so that Americans have a right to protest. I appreciate their service and viewpoint. In yesterday’s New York Times, a veteran went further in support of dissent. For Memorial Day, I share Mr. MacKenzie’s brief letter.
***
If commercial football continues to insist that it knows the only way to respect flag, anthem and country, I would see nothing wrong with taking a knee myself in the stands when they play the anthem or fly warplanes over the field. It would cost me nothing — nothing close to the financial risks of some conscientious athletes.
I love my country and its songs and flag. I am a Navy veteran whose brother died flying in World War II. So I am secure in my own patriotism, unwilling to be instructed about it by a draft-dodging president or his kowtowing sports flag-wavers.
JOHN P. MACKENZIE
LONG ISLAND CITY, QUEENS

No comments: