Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Two Girls: The Holocaust



I’ve handed you the front- and back-cover of a “book” (they are actually slides from a presentation I do for elementary students). I’m not writing this book to tell you how think about this. I invite you to think for yourself.

The Nazi girl is the creation of Hitler’s propaganda apparatus. She is collecting money for a youth hostel.

The other girl is Gabriella Lefkovits. She is my aunt, my father’s little sister in Nyermada, Hungary. She is shown as an 8 year old in a family portrait taken within a year of her death at Auschwitz.
Today, I asked 4th grade students to compare similarities and differences between these girls. They had a lot to say.

The more you notice similarities and differences, the more you understand the Holocaust. (Click on each photo for more detail.)

Feel free to share your thoughts on FB, or privately with me at mhl@illinois.edu.

No comments: