Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Facing Day of Atonement, I Avoid First Uber Ride— “You Shall Not Reap All the Way to the Corner of Your Field.”

I am Jewish; and I am an academic labor lawyer. Thus, it’s not a surprise that I avoid Uber like it’s one of the Ten Plagues. 
Uber doesn’t pay into Social Security, like other employers—this is unfair to other transportation companies, and to Uber drivers (who pay all of these taxes). My grievances go on and on. You see the point, even if you use Uber.
I am presenting a paper at a conference in Midtown Manhattan. I don’t want to overpay for rides to and from the airport (please, no jokes about my being cheap, not now).
So, I asked my kids: “How do I put Uber on my phone?” After a brief pause where I imagined they were slapping their heads, I got set up. Thank you, Sam.
Today, as I prepare to go to NYC, my Jewish guilt got a hold of me. Why are you selling out now? How much money are you saving by compromising your principles?
Nah, I’m still taking Uber. It’s time.
But then I remembered the Yom Kippur (Jewish Day of Atonement) Torah reading about treating poor people with compassion:

“When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap all the way to the corner of your field, or gather the gleanings of your harvest.  You shall not pick your vineyard bare, or gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and the stranger; I the Lord am your God.” Leviticus 19:9-11
The moral lesson is plain to see: Leave something for others. Even as you reap, you should think of the person who has not planted, whose crop has failed, who has been driven from his or her land, or is hungry right now.

To me, that includes the Uber driver: She has no employer-provided insurance for health, or even the car, or liability, no employer-paid taxes, no overtime pay, no minimum wage, no worker’s compensation. I object to this exploitation. The cab company is doing it the better way. 

I choose to support the worker (the cabbie) who will eventually qualify for a Social Security old-age benefits that his or her cab company paid 50% into. The Uber driver is cheaper today because the rider is essentially "subsidizing" her total lack of benefits.

I’ll be riding with Malone’s Cab. $68, airport to Midtown, plus tolls and tip. A bargain. And driven by an employee! (I asked.)
Without the Day of Atonement on my doorstep, I would have caved. I am so grateful.

No comments: