Saturday, February 25, 2017

Amazon Mainstreams Skin Heads

In my continuing research on white identity in the American workplace, I came across this remarkable article from 1974, Mike Brake, "The Skinheads: An English Working Class Subculture," Youth and Society, Vol. 6.
Compare Brake’s observation of English skinheads from the late 1960s-- it sounds like our elections for 2016: “Immigrants became an easy scapegoat in an economic system where traditional industries are threatened, where a cheap pool of labour is part of the economy combined with a permanent pool of unemployment, and where the cost of living has risen beyond all expectation…. It is not surprising that a group of disenchanted youths from the poorest sections of society respond to racism and prejudice as an answer to their problems.”
Part of my research today uncovered these items for purchase on Amazon (pictures in this post). 

My take? Skin Heads have become more mainstreamed than I realized. Notice the fusion of work and racism. I understand better how we have a white nationalist as our president.

No comments: