Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Immigration News Exclusive! Chris Cuomo (2019) Interviews George Washington (1788)


Alright, my next guest on CNN Prime Time is a familiar figure: George Washington. By the magic of a time warp, I am interviewing him in 1788, shortly before he became our nation’s first president. 
But first, let’s set the stage. Some conservatives today believe that the United States was founded by white people for the benefit of future generations of white people—and this argument is used to justify strong, anti-immigration policies today. 
It’s true that some political leaders in America’s early history had that view. 
But others had a view that looks a lot like the position taken by many liberals—a view that favors immigration to people who want to work and to enjoy freedom.
Mr. Washington, welcome to the show. Now, you must promise to tell the truth because we are often accused of promoting fake news.
Alright, let’s talk about your letter of May 28, 1788 to Rev. Francis Adrian Vanderkamp. What did you say to this Dutch man?
The letter which you did me the favor to address to me the 15th. of this instt. from New York has been duly received, and I take the speediest occasion to well-come your arrival on the American shore.
Fair enough. What views on immigration did you share with Rev. Vanderkemp?
I had always hoped that this land might become a safe and agreeable Asylum to the virtuous and persecuted part of mankind, to whatever nation they might belong; but I shall be the more particularly happy, if this Country can be, by any means, useful to the Patriots of Holland, with whose situation I am peculiarly touched, and of whose public virtue I entertain a great opinion.
Alright. Mr. Washington, our reporting shows that the Dutch economy was in terrible shape in the 1780s. Listen while we play some earlier footage of our interview in the 1780s with James Boswell, a student at Utrecht:
In such circumstances this trading nation must be in a very bad way. Most of their principal towns are sadly decayed, and instead of finding every mortal employed you meet with multitudes of poor creatures who are starving in idleness. Utrecht is remarkably ruined. There are whole lanes of wretches who have no other subsistence than potatoes, gin, and stuff which they call tea and coffee.

Now, Mr. Washington, this sounds a bit like many parts of the U.S. today. What did you say to Rev. Vanderkemp about immigrating to America under those harsh conditions?
You may rest assured, Sir, of my best and most friendly sentiments of your suffering compatriots, and that, while I deplore the calamities to which many of the most worthy members of your Community have been reduced … I shall flatter myself that many of them will be able with the wrecks of their fortunes which may have escaped the extensive devastation, to settle themselves in comfort, freedom and ease in some corner of the vast regions of America.
Interesting. Okay, we need to wrap up, but how did you leave things with the reverend? Did you offer hope or discouragement?

The spirit of the Religions and the genius of the political Institutions of this Country must be an inducement. Under a good government (which I have no doubt we shall establish) this Country certainly promises greater advantages, than almost any other, to persons of moderate property, who are determined to be sober, industrious and virtuous members of Society. And it must not be concealed, that a knowledge that these are the general characteristics of your compatriots would be a principal reason to consider their advent as a valuable acquisition to our infant settlements. If you should meet with as favorable circumstances, as I hope will attend your first operations; I think it probable that your coming will be the harbinger for many more to adventure across the Atlantic.
In the meantime give me leave to request that I may have the pleasure to see you at my house whensoever it can be convenient to you, and to offer whatsoever services it may ever be in my power to afford yourself, as well as to the other Patriots and friends to the rights of Mankind of the Dutch Nation. I am etc.

No comments: